Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Soul Mate?


In mythology class today, my teacher asked if we believe in soul mates... Well, do you believe in soul mates? I don't think this is a question I've asked myself recently.

Aristophanes wrote that human beings long ago had three genders: male, female and androgynous. We had two heads, four hands, four arms and were just overall twice what we are now. We were extremely strong and threatening, so Zeus punished us by cutting us in half to make two people. As a result, we now live our lives in search of our other half to make us whole again. Beautifully sad story, right?

When I was young, obviously as a girl, I believed in soul mates and the whole Disney prince charming thing. How can you not love the idea of a soul mate? Someone out there who is perfectly made for you and will make you whole again? Sign me up! But honestly, as I got older and as life made me slightly more bitter, the idea scared me. 

I've always been a person ruled by extreme passion; I am spontaneous, feel deeply and just all around go with how I feel. "Je pense donc je suis," which is the title of my blog, even shows my Romantic beliefs. "I feel, therefore I am."  My feelings rule me, so as a person governed by spontaneity, passion and emotion, isn't it contradictory if I say I believe in soul mates? Soul mates are pre-destined and something we have no control of, but I want to live my life going with the flow and my gut, having fun and key word spontaneous. As a Romantic, I find something sublime about the terrifying aka about rebellion and independence. Feelings change by the minute and I change day by day, so do I really want a force out there telling me I'm only meant to be with one specific person? I'm not in love the idea that there is only one person out there for me and that I cannot control who I will love. 

In Miyazaki's movie Howl's Moving Castle, my favorite quote at the end of the movie has always been, "One thing you can always count on is that hearts change." Quick summary: The main character Sophie gives this scarecrow a kiss, which transforms him back to human because it was a true love's kiss that broke a curse. However, she doesn't give him much of her attention because she's already too busy aiding another man she has fallen in love with. So lesson is, soul mates may or may not exist, but even if they do exist, you still have a choice in who you fall in love with and who you choose to be with. I believe that sometimes, you are meant to fall in love with someone, but you aren't meant to be with them. In the end,  if you get lucky enough, you'll find your ultimate love, your soul mate. Not in the sense that you were destined to be with them, but in a sense that they make you feel more like you and that through all the strife and odds, you found and chose each other. I mean, what's the fun in life if our destinies were written in the stars, right?


Here's a video of my favorite video of like ever about love. Like all great and abstract things, you may have to watch it a few times to fully absorb it, but please do (remember how many times you watched Inception to understand it? LOL). This is seriously so perfect and if you're going through a rough love time or know someone who is, pass this along! Hopefully they will appreciate it.

I sound super old, but now that I'm over all of that high school drama with bad friendships and a horrendous ex, I can truly appreciate this video as it speaks volumes to me!

P.S. my favorite movie about love is 500 Days of Summer. I highly recommend! You may not love it because I for sure didn't for the first few years. It just randomly clicked with me one day and suddenly I could relate to everything! I linked it above, so all you have to do is click and watch! No excuses!! (:

No comments:

Post a Comment